Rebecca Eckler is one of Canada's most talked about newspaper columnists, the author of Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother to Be, which has been translated into nine languages. Also the author of the bestsellers, Wiped!, Toddlers Gone Wild, and Rotten Apple, the first in a YA series. Random thoughts on life in the competitive world of modern mommyhood. Blog will be loved by trendy mothers who still feel, or often feel, that the most important word in "mommee" is ME!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Hibernation

I think I'm out of it. The hibernation, that is. Ah, feels good. Is that sunshine - actual sunshine - I see?

Seriously, it was New Years...and now it's friggen APRIL?!?

When...how...what?

First off, is it just me (I know it's not) but that was the LONGEST winter I can remember. Ever. It was never-ending.

Spent most of it, I think, sleepwalking and dreaming about being in a bikini on a beach....there may have been a couple trips somewhere. Yes, there must have been because I spent 55 minutes the other night taking tiny braids with beads out of my daughter's hair.

I feel like I'm now calling on a friend who I haven't spoken to in months. But in a good way. With the kind of friend that, even if you haven't spoken to in months and months, you can just take off where your last conversation ended.

So, here's the update in my life.

1) The Dictator is now four and a half. And the braids are out of her hair! It took me 3000 times as long to get them out as the woman in Mexico who braided them in in the first place.

2) Toddlers Gone Wild! is now out! Yay! So go to Amazon, or Chapters and order yours now!!

3) Planning a big bash for the book, a Toddlers Gone Wild party, which is all about toddlers. Will be a red carpet and everything...all for the toddlers!

4) My sister-in-law is about to pop. Seriously, any day now (Actually, last Wednesday) she will give birth to my second nephew.

My four-year old daughter now thinks she's pregnant, thanks to my bursting sister-in-law.

I'm like "Whoa! What did you just say?" when my four year old told me she was pregnant.

My daughter yesterday said to me, "Mommy, I need help to get up. You have to grab my hands! I have a baby in my stomach!"

I laughed, and then told her NOT TO TELL ANYONE ELSE THAT! (I don't want her teachers to be like, "Um, let's take your daughter to a therapist. She thinks she has a baby in her stomach. C-r-a-z-y!")

This morning she told me, "The baby is kicking." I told her, "THAT'S OUR SECRET!!"

The only up-side to my four year-old thinking there's a baby in her stomach is that she's now drinking a lot of milk ("I need MORE milk. It's good for the BABY!" she'll say.)

Ah, lots of tales like that in Toddlers Gone Wild! I think you'll enjoy.

It's nice to be back....

xox
R.

22 Comments:

Blogger ig said...

I love the pregnant story. Very very cute. Welcome back.

10:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm heading to Chapters/Indigo online now!

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Laural Dawn said...

Glad you're back.
I'm so excited about the book! I'm going to go buy it tonight.
And, the pregnant story is hilarious. The whole time I was pregnant my son told people he had a monster baby in his tummy. It was a little weird. Thankfully when the real baby came monster baby disappeared.

2:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! You're back!

8:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pre-ordered the new book, read it in two days, loved it!So glad you're back. As a new mommy I read your work and don't feel like the only person to feel the way I do somedays!(i'm the first of my friends to have kids, so...)

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Great to see you're back!
Looking very forward to reading the new book!

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca -- Toddlers Gone Wild is a great read! It's cute and funny and hope it does great!

6:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

I have a pregnancy story - my friends baby asked a waitress, "When are you due?" (such good intentions) and the waitress said, "My baby, I'm just fat."

Little kids have such good intentions though!

9:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That was quite the hibernation. I'm glad you're back. I'll definitely check out the book. Congrats!

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotten over your fear that someone will start a blog to criticize you? Not that it wouldn't be deserved, but, any way, happy Passover Rebecca.

3:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - missed your writing. It always makes me laugh. Saw you on BT. Great job

2:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping to pick up Toddlers Gone Wild this weekend...I'm sure my husband will enjoy not hearing from me for the following days since I'm sure I will be in my own little reading world! Hope you are working on the next book!!!

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the middle of reading your book now and am enjoying it :)

3:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read toddlers gone wild. I have read your first two books twice. I just finished rereading wiped. They make me laugh so hard, especially when you don't know if your friend Ronnie is talking to you or her kids. I also have a 4 year old son and I am due to have another boy in a few weeks. My boyfriend carries my son on his shoulders and jokes with him saying, 'can I drop you'? When my son said no my boyfriend asked why and my little boy said,'because I'm pregnant!' Then he gives his huge grin and giggles. We thought it was the funniest thing. He's been hearing me say I'm pregnant so much to explain why I can't do things so now he's saying it. That is so adorable that your daughter thinks she's pregnant. Imagine how excited she would be if you were pregnant again. It feels so weird that my baby is going to be a big brother now... Anyways you're awesome and I love your books. From Julie in Richmond Hill

9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just bought the book tonight...can't wait to spend sunday afternoon reading it!!!

7:06 PM

 
Blogger Mommy Jo said...

I knew you'd be back...I never lost hope....well maybe a little bit! Going to go buy your book!

9:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me you are writing another book...just finished Toddlers Gone Wild and am now re-reading because I was laughing so hard that I couldn't see some of the words through my tears! You are truly talented and if you wrote a how to book on raising kids... I would buy it!

6:51 AM

 
Blogger Cheryl said...

Welcome back!! I have read all 3 of your books and LOVED them all! I have a 15 month old daughter right now and another one on the way in November. I am not looking forward to the scary antics that is childhood chatter. ;)

I'm glad you're back. As I said, i read your books and your whole blog. Yes, I have no life.

9:52 AM

 
Blogger petite gourmand said...

time flies huh?
welcome back

12:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, you've been missed!

12:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My niece bought me Toddlers Gone Wild and I must say this is the most hilarious book I've read in such a long time, we're talking pee my pants funny, I guess because I too have a toddler and everything you say is bang on!
Congrats on writing such a fabulous book.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Jallápenno said...

commenting on an old post, oh well! I wanted to leave the naked post comments on track. Just read Toddlers Gone Wild, and it was fantastic. I especially appreciated that it was in short essay form, so that I could actually READ a whole book in a reasonable amount of time. Not something I've done in the last, oh, 3 years.
Now, if you could do me a favour and have another baby and write a book about that, and how much fun it is to have a baby and a pre-schooler, that would be SUPER.
cheers.

5:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home